Wednesday, October 12, 2016

We had an IEP meeting for Angie today.  As I listened to her team's comments and the data that has collected about her progress I was completely overwhelmed.  There seems to be no explanation for the explosion of learning that Angie is experiencing.  Except, there is:

Angie has a dedicated, creative team of people working with her every single day.  They "get" how she learns and they have adjusted their teaching accordingly.  It is working.  I have said this before but it bears repeating.  At the beginning of this school year, six weeks ago, Angie had no consistent sight words.  Today, she is READING!!!  Color words, number words, high frequency words, nouns, verbs, you name it.  She is reading it.

We shared information about the effects of hemispherectomy on education and they listened.  The results speak for themselves.  And she just continues to surprise us.  I am in contact with many parents of children with special needs and I know this is not the norm.  Many families struggle to get the services their children need.  I want all families to have what is needed because their children deserve it.

I cannot write about Angie's progress without mentioning her sessions of the Anat Baniel Method.  I still do not completely understand why it works but I am 100% convinced that it does.  She is a different child since starting the ABM treatments.  We are planning another series of session for her in early November.

The bottom line is that we are thrilled and amazed with the child that Angie is becoming.  She is a mystery and a wonder and she has blessed our lives beyond measure.  I can't wait to see her progress continue and to watch her continue to soar......

No comments:

Post a Comment