Thursday, November 30, 2017

Rocking the Research

Since Angela's surgery, we have been anxious to participate in research that will drive innovation and advancement for children with special needs.  Angela has been included in several medical and educational research projects over the past few years and we are always looking for new opportunities.

A few weeks ago, I was contacted by a research group that was preparing for a project authorized by a major designer clothing company.  The company is considering a line of adaptive clothing for children and adults with disabilities.  I responded and was interviewed for the program and we were accepted!!  I have always believed strongly that children with special needs should have access to the same fashion as other children, but children who require orthotics, or have physical limitations often have fewer clothing options available to them.  This is frustrating for me and I am always on the lookout for cute, yet practical clothes for Miss Angela.

Two weeks ago, our Tommy Hilfiger package arrived and I almost cried.  Really.  The clothes are THAT good.  They are cute and do not look "special".  The closures have magnets sewn into the fabric instead of buttons or snaps, and the (skinny) jeans have the magnets in the seam so the pants open to fit easily over Angela's leg brace.  The long-sleeved t-shirt has the same type of closure on the neckline so she can get it on easily with one hand.  I am posting pictures of her cuteness below, even though you can't see the magnets.  Isn't she adorable?



There is a dress, too, but I have not captured it in a photo yet.  I guess I really raved about how much I love the clothes because I was asked to send a video to share my thoughts with Tommy.  I am pretty sure we are besties now, don't you think? But seriously, I am so honored that we can be included in this project.  I am going to be furiously advocating for an adaptive clothing line to be available for all.  I will keep you posted......

No comments:

Post a Comment