Monday, August 10, 2015

Responsibility

I have been given more responsibility than a person should have in the past week.  So much has happened.  I became the Interim Executive Director at the Neuro-Developmental center where I have worked for the past ten years.  Yep.  The buck stops here.  Twenty plus people now look to me to provide direction and guidance as they offer hope and healing to our clients.  A HUGE responsibility.

In the same two-day span I learned that my father has colon cancer.  He is 81 years old and he is unable to drive himself the 2 hours from his home in Astoria to Portland where his treatment will occur.  I have entered the Sandwich Generation of adults who are caring for parents while still raising their own children.  My mom is in poor health and my one adult brother also has serious medical concerns.  Again, the buck stops here.

On the home front, plans have not worked out as expected for our foster daughter and her stay with us may be extended.  We love her dearly and don't wish for her to leave, but we did plan for our childcare needs around her departure in light of the new developments in our lives.  As much as we love providing a safe home for her, it adds to the weight of responsibility.  Always, in foster care, the buck stops here.

Toby and I met with our local Developmental Disability Services a few days ago to plan for Levi to transition back to our home in the next few months.  There is lot of work to do and arrangements to be made but we are hopeful that our family will once again be under the same roof.  We need to hire providers and arrange for his education and social needs.  Yes, the buck stops here.

I do not mean to complain.  I am grateful for new opportunities and being able to care for loved ones.  God has gifted me with a very special journey and I am grateful.  The greatest gift of all is my husband.  Toby took my dad to his appointment in Portland today so I could be at work and he will repeat the trip next week.  He has taken responsibility for getting the kids to appointments and making sure I have quiet time for myself.  He is a treasure and I could not do this crazy life without him.  Maybe that is God's plan.  Have I not appreciated him enough? I thought so, but here is an opportunity to see my best friend give his all to support me and to care for our family.



There is nothing better.  I am a little overwhelmed by my responsibilities but having Toby by my side makes it all seem possible.  Another step in the journey, with surprises every single day.  Thank you for listening, my friends.  One step at a time, and learning all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment