Saturday, August 1, 2015

The Next Generation

The next generation of the Harris family is about to become a reality. This week, the truth really hit home: We are going to become grandparents soon.  Oh. My. Goodness.  Until recently, I was not exactly sure how I felt about the next chapter of my journey, but now I know that I can hardly wait!

I went with Kirsten to her ultrasound appointment on Wednesday.  I thought I was going to support her, and hopefully I did.  As I watched the baby on the screen, though, I was so moved by the experience I forgot my role as supporter.  That was my grandchild.  Well, grandson, to be precise.  I was far more emotional viewing her ultrasound than I was when I was having my own.  And watching her obvious joy was priceless.  The love I felt for that unborn baby rivaled any I have felt before.  Now I know what people are talking about when they say, "Just wait".  Oh boy.  Will I ever be the same again? Somehow, I think not.

The best news is that I am not gaining one grandchild but two.  God must really love me to bless my family this way.  Kaeley's baby girl will arrive in October and we will welcome Kirsten's baby boy in December.  My heart is overflowing.  All of this AND being able to adopt Angie?  So much joy!

I have to be honest, though.  The past year has been tough.  We have been in a valley for many, many months.  I do not mean to paint our life as perfect because it is not.  We have experienced pain, grief, disappointment, confusion, tough decisions and hard days.  We have questioned God's plan and wondered what He means for us to do in many aspects of our lives.  And now, we can see the blessings ahead.  Life is that way, isn't it?  Just when you think it may be time to just resign yourself to misery, the sun comes out.  It is tempting to give up before you see it, but don't do it!

I hope this encourages you.  Don't give up.  Your valley is not the same as mine, but it is equally important and just as surmountable.   Often, the last key you try is the one that opens the door.


No comments:

Post a Comment