Thursday, February 25, 2016

One Step Closer

We are one step closer to adoption tonight. Angie had an evaluation today to help determine her ongoing needs.  It felt like many of the appointments we have endured in the past, except that now we are one step closer.

When I get impatient, I try to remember how far we have come and how much growth our family has experienced.  So much has happened since we met our girl.  The other day, during an appointment at Doernbecher Children's Hospital, I looked around at the parents with infants and toddlers and I wished it was appropriate to approach them to offer some words of encouragement.  They all looked so worried, as I am sure there were many questions still unanswered.

If I could have, I would have told them this: "I know it hard to picture any good coming from your child's diagnosis, but it will, I promise.  You will learn that every milestone will come harder and maybe later, but will be a gift from God and you will know He exists.  You will find joy in every smile, every word, every step, beyond what you ever imagined.  Your child will spread his or her joy to all that they encounter.  You will meet doctors and other professionals that will renew your hope, time and time again.  You are stronger than you know, even when you don't feel it.  There will be hard days and nights and your faith will waver, but know that you are not alone. You can do this."

I thought about the parents all day and I am thinking of them still.  I wish I could help.  For now, I will try to be patient in our process.  Angie will be adopted, I am confident of that.  In the meantime, I have her contagious laugh and unwavering determination to get me through each day.  A friend called me today to say she was just thinking about all of the lives that Angie has touched and changed.  God has used her challenges for good and He will continue to do so, both before and after her adoption.




Who knew that she would become this beautiful, amazing girl?  I came in from a meeting tonight and she was almost asleep. As I leaned over to kiss her goodnight, she said, "Mom, I want to get adopted and I am going to."  Yes, my love.  Yes, you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment