Saturday, February 22, 2014

What a backwards system

  The state healthcare system is backwards.  You may already know this.  I know it firsthand and have been experiencing it for the past 14 years that I have been a foster parent.  The state denies necessary treatments, while asking parents to care for fragile, broken children without the treatment they need.  Children who need physical or mental health treatment more than anyone.  Backwards.

Because of Angie's challenges, she has needed numerous medical interventions.  I cannot tell you how many insurance denials we have received.  We have fought vigorously for her to get (necessary) treatment of every type.  On 3 or 4 occasions, we had to enlist the help of Betsy Johnson, our state senator, to advocate for Angie.  Ms. Johnson has come through every time and has gotten us what is needed.  But it shouldn't be that way.

The latest situation just has me burning up.  In early December, Angie had an occupational therapy evaluation, which was required before she could resume her therapy. The Oregon Health Plan only allows her to have a certain number of therapy visits at once before requiring a new evaluation, a wait for authorization, and a wait to see if there is a slot available for her.  This occurs about every 4-6 months.  Each time, the therapist notes that, yes, she still has half of her brain doing 100% of the work, and yes, she will still need therapy for the rest of her life.  I am exaggerating a little bit, but really?  A child like Angie should not have to go through this tedious process.

So, the evaluation was in early December.  This week-over 3 months later-I receive a phone call that the therapy is approved and she can start therapy this Tuesday.  Yesterday, I received a notice in the mail that because Angie is scheduled to have botox injections on Wednesday, the insurance company is rescinding the authorization.  Now, she must have a new evaluation after the injections before therapy can begin.  Did I mention that she has only half of her brain to perform all of her functions?  She needs the therapy whether she has botox or not.  Botox, if it is effective, will only give her increased range of motion in her arm, hand, and foot for a short time.  It is not a brain transplant!

I am tired of fighting.  We are not asking for anything extravagant.  Just the basics so Angie can reach her potential.  If we could get her covered by our private insurance we would.  We would have to adopt her for that to happen but we can't.  Why?  The state of Oregon has determined that her needs are too great for her to be placed for adoption.  Does this make sense to you?  Me either.  I am just venting.  If you are still reading, thank you.  I will, as always, jump through the hoops to get what is needed.  But wouldn't it be nice if I could use my time and energy more productively?  One of my favorite MLK quotes is this-"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."  So true.

Before I end tonight, I want to share something that happened on my way home from work yesterday.  As I was driving home, I was encouraged by the lovely, if fleeting, sun.  It was bright and beautiful.  And at the same time, it was raining lightly.  I was at a stop light and it occurred to me that this is my life.  Really beautiful and bright.  I have an amazing family and a job that I love.  Friends and supporters galore.  And a few raindrops along the way.  I can focus on either one I choose.  Most of the time I see the sun.  But other times it is impossible to ignore the raindrops.  Does this sound familiar?  I hope, my friends, that you also have more sun than raindrops. If you need an umbrella, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment