Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Power of Prayer

On Sunday, our family went to church, as we almost always do.  As we walked in, the nice man and wife at the door handed us our church bulletins and I stepped forward to look for somewhere to sit.  As I moved, the man said, "Wait, I have to tell you something.  My wife and I have been praying for you."  I was touched.  "Thank you," I said, "Our family has a lot going on."  "No" he said, "We are praying for YOU."  Oh, wow.  I didn't know what to say. There was more.  "Your job is hard.  Your husband works long hours and volunteers in the community.  You have children with special needs and you manage to work too.  We know how hard it all must be and so we have been praying for you."

OH MY GOODNESS!  I have never felt so humbled and grateful in my entire life.  This couple, who I knew only from seeing them at church, was taking time out of their day to talk to God on my behalf.  I am overwhelmed.  I feel so special, and he could have told every person that came through the door that day the same thing and it wouldn't matter.  Why?  Because he took the time to encourage ME.  I was singled out.

It's not just that I believe in the power of prayer.  I do.  I firmly believe that prayer changes lives and that God hears our prayers, every single one.  I treasure their prayers on my behalf.  The bigger message from my new friend was, "We care for you".  Such a simple message and it took about 20 seconds to deliver.  As I think about our short conversation, I want to get behind this in a big way.  I had forgotten about the power our words have. Every single word we say affects those around us.  If we can bring a change by using our words to affect others positively we all win.  There are enough negative words floating around already.

I am going to make a commitment:  I will say something encouraging to one person per day.   Will you do it too?  You have 20 seconds, right?  I already know what will happen.  The person sending the message will be just as blessed as the recipient.  You watch, I am right.  You will be smiling for the rest of the day.  And who knows how you might change the day for the other person?

My friend at church was right, my job is hard.  So is yours.  And those of the people you and I come into contact with each day.

This is going to be awesome, I just know it.  I can't wait to hear your stories:)


No comments:

Post a Comment