Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Whole 30 Challenge

Toby and I completed a "Whole 30" challenge today.  If you haven't heard of the Whole 30, it is a very limited eating plan designed to help people eliminate processed foods from their diet and to "clean up" their eating.  It is a rigid version of the Paleo diet.  When we told friends and family about our decision, we were asked why we chose to do it, and I answered with the textbook answer, " To change the way we eat."  This is true, but to be honest my diet was pretty healthy by most standards already.  I had already eliminated sugar and wheat about two months before.

Tonight, I realized what was driving us (I believe this is true for Toby too) was to take on a challenge that we could control.  Let me explain.  The environment in the Harris home is controlled by our two children with special needs.  It has to be.  At any given moment, one or both could present with an immediate need and we would have to respond quickly.  Challenging, yes.  Out of our control, yes.  The behaviors we deal with daily are unpredictable and probably would shock the outside observer. I won't elaborate, but please take my word for it.  We often burn the calories of a marathon runner before 7:30 AM just preparing the kids for the day.  All of our important decisions are made with regard for our children's current needs, rather than our own desires.

Don't get me wrong, we chose this life.  We have loved these two since they were newborns, both joining us straight from the hospital.  We knew about each child's potential needs before we made the commitment to parent them, but that doesn't mean that we don't struggle on a daily basis.  We do.  We are challenged to keep our sense of humor as we raise these particularly difficult children.  The saving grace is our exceptional relationship and ability to work together.

So, we took on the Whole 30 and looking back I realize we were thumbing our nose at difficult circumstances.  "Look at me", our dedication said, "I am in charge of this!".   Each of us struggled with different aspects of the plan. For Toby, the absence of bread and Big Macs.  For me, a glass of wine at the end of a long day.  But we did it.  I think our confidence in ourselves has been renewed at a critical, perfect time in our lives.  As our kids have grown, the early medical concerns have been replaced with even more difficult behavioral and educational issues.  We struggle to stay positive and often feel helpless to help our children. Or ourselves.  Recently, the task has been especially daunting.

I do not plan to go back to my old habits tomorrow.  I will adopt a version of the Whole 30 to maintain the benefits I am enjoying.  I appreciate the weight loss and added energy I am experiencing.  I am especially grateful, though, for the renewed confidence in my ability to tackle a challenge.  Good bye, Whole 30.  Hello, girl who knows she can take something on and come out on top:)

No comments:

Post a Comment