Wednesday, June 17, 2015

It happened today, as it has before. We were called and asked to take one of our former foster children in again.  She left our home 6 months ago after a 9 month stay in our home.  This is a pretty long stay for us so when I got the call I did not feel like I could refuse. If this child did not come back to our home, it would be detrimental to her development.

She came tonight and I cannot begin to describe the emotions and tenderness I felt for this child. She has experienced such loss. Even in the middle of the time in our home, she was returned to a parent and then back to us one month later for another 8 months.  She is so fragile.

So, here she is, this broken child.  You do all of the normal comfort measures, but is it enough?  Who knows? I guess you can feel inadequate or you can decide that you are doing the best you can.  I am not sure which I should embrace yet.  Will she survive yet another transition in her life? Can she overcome this setback?

It is too soon to tell.  For now, I have decided to love her as much as I can.  To pour my time and attention into her so she know that she matters!!!  It may or may not be enough, but it is what I have to give and I know my life, and hopefully hers, will be better for it.  The best is yet to come for this girl, I am sure of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment