Saturday, October 14, 2017

All of the Lasts

As a parent of a high school Senior, I have entered the year of the lasts.  The last first day of school, last Homecoming Dance, last basketball season.....you get it.  I have been here three times before but it does not get any easier.  In fact, maybe it is harder because I know how final the end of high school really is, despite the great things that can come after.  My child has started the leaving process.

There is so much going on in all of our kids lives right now.  Really good things.  I will share more soon, but for now I will focus on Josh and helping to make the next few months meaningful for him and for our family.  Some you have known Josh for years, and some only know him from knowing me.  Let me tell you about him....

Josh is the kindest boy I know.  Really.  He has empathy for other people and he LOVES his family.   Josh is everyone's friend.  He does not compete for attention, and he is as humble as they come.  His love and compassion for his younger brother and sister has been known to bring me to tears.  His nephew's hero-worship of him is endearing.

This week is Josh's last Homecoming week.  He gave it his all and even sported a tutu for the Homecoming game:


And then, tonight, was his last Homecoming dance:


I look like a little old lady, don't I?  Well, I may be but I still have a few more years of high school dances left in me!

I am going to treasure this year.  I have enjoyed every single moment with this boy, since the moment he came into our home and our family.  He stole our hearts the very first day.  This is not a year to grieve, but a year to celebrate, and to make every single "last" the best one yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment