Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Recovery mode

My plan to get the kids back on track is moving right along.  A few bumps here and there but a relative calm has settled over the house and I think we will soon recover from the nasty holiday weekend.  Whew!

Angie had an occupational therapy evaluation yesterday in preparation for her to start attending weekly therapy visits.  The evaluator, Laura, is Angie's long-time occupational therapist and Angie was thrilled to see her again.  We have been on a break since August when Angie's insurance coverage for therapy ran out for the year.  That is another story-my constant frustration with insurance coverage.  Another time.  I am working on using my Nice Words.

Testing days are hard for me as they are for most parents.  I see parents come to Progress Center every day with the same deer-in-the-headlights, "please tell me my child is fine" look that I must have had. Even after all these years I know I do.  I love those parents.  I want to take them home and take care of them.  To tell them that even if their child is not "fine", he or she is PERFECT and will teach them what is really important in this life.  And bring them unimaginable joy.

Angie performed well on the evaluation, even surprising me with some of her skills.  For example, her ability to hold fabric under her chin and fasten and unfasten the buttons in it with one hand.  Who knew?  Despite my pride in her adaptive abilities, I know that her scores were frighteningly low.  Laura, bless her heart, did not share the actual numbers with me.  We must have had a silent understanding that we both knew what we knew and it would not define the Angie that we both love.

After the testing, Angie and Laura got to play:


As we walked out of the hospital, Angie said to me, "Mom, I love Laura and Laura loves Angie." So, true, my love.  I am so glad she knows and feels the love.

Today, I attended a Citizen Review Board hearing regarding Angie's DHS case.  The CRB reviews each case every 6 months and serves as oversight to make sure DHS is complying with state child welfare laws.  I did not expect any surprises and there really weren't any.  The same CRB has watched Angie grow and thrive over the years and they are always overwhelmed by her progress.  It is a good reminder to me that although the day-to-day challenges can be disheartening, the big picture is that this child is a miracle!  Every. Single. Day.  She is alive and she is thriving.  Boom!

If you are still reading my blog, thank you.  This blog provides an outlet for my thoughts and feelings as my family continues on this journey.  Once I write them here, I try to consider them "given away" and not to dwell on them.  If you are on the receiving end, that is a gift to me and goes a long way towards helping me stay sane.  Thank you, my friends, for your important role in the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment