Thursday, December 12, 2013

Throwing it into the pile

Today had a somewhat surreal feel for me.  It felt like God had a lesson for me everywhere I turned.  I left the house this morning already feeling emotional about Angie's appointment at the OHSU Epilepsy Clinic.  We first visited the clinic in December 2010 after being told that Angie was not a candidate for surgery to treat her seizures and that all medical options to address the life-threatening seizures had been exhausted.  That day we found hope and every trip back to the clinic reminds me of the long journey to surgery 6 months later.





Angie and I had some time before her appointment so I decided to stop at New Seasons to do some shopping and have lunch.  Shopping completed, we sat down with our food and I noticed a tall young adult bustling about the room.  He clearly had a developmental delay or disorder and I watched him work in awe.  He talked to himself and made repetitive hand motions, but he was working hard.  My kids can have jobs when they grow up!  Yes! I got up to get water for Angie and I struggled with the water dispenser.  Before I knew what was happening, the young man ripped the glasses from my hand wordlessly and filled them quickly and expertly.  I turned to thank him and he was glowing, so thrilled to be able to help, but he walked away as if not knowing how to respond to my thanks.  I think I love him.  What courage.  What strength to use his skills productively.  He brightened the room and it seemed as if the guests were happier for his presence. I'll bet his mom thinks he is a miracle.

We arrived at the hospital a little early for the appointment and as we waited I observed the families around me.  I always expect to see sick kids when visiting a children's hospital and sometimes the children are desperately ill.  Today, the epilepsy team was in a different setting than usual, the Child Development and Rehab department.  The children in this waiting area were children with "Superpowers" as my blogger friend Chrissy calls children who grow or learn differently.  Each child's Superpowers were different but all were clearly challenging.  Several were non-verbal.  I watched parents sigh, yell, roll their eyes, look to the other parent to chase the child this time, and appear completely overwhelmed. Weary. Sad. Afraid.  I wanted to help them, every single one.  But I felt completely powerless.  Their journey is theirs alone. At one point, I had to restrain myself from running after a mom who looked especially upset and exhausted.  I was reminded of the Pinterest pin below:

Think about it. Wouldn't you?  After today I know it is true.  At the same time as I was feeling helpless and sad watching the other families I was overwhelmed with gratitude for the beautiful life that God has given me.  I needed this lesson today and God, as always, delivered it right on time.  My children may have Superpowers, but they can walk, talk, laugh, and express their love in multiple ways every day.  I have been given so much.

Our time with the doctors was like a reunion.  Angie told them all about "Kindergarten school" and showed off some of her new skills.  We discussed some changes to her treatment, which is something I am going to save for another post.  It is a lot to absorb.  Dr. Wray asked if we would come to help him teach his medical students about hemispherectomy and Sturge-Weber syndrome again like we did last year.  I can't believe it has been a year!  Dr. Wray said that his students told him that meeting Angie and hearing her story was their favorite part of the class because it made the information real and relevant.  Go Angie!

As we pulled into the driveway at 4:15 this afternoon, Angie asked, "Is it jammie time?".  I wish. I guess we both experienced the day similarly.  I feel like I have traveled a thousand miles today and have arrived at my destination an older, wiser version of me.

So, I challenge you to throw your problems into the pile tonight.  Don't leave them too long before you grab them back (you wouldn't want someone else to snatch them) and look at them closely.  There are lessons and blessings to be seen in each one.  Miracle and wonders all around us.  I'll bet you will keep yours too:)

No comments:

Post a Comment