Thursday, March 13, 2014

Happy Birthday, Levi

 Happy Birthday, Levi!

  Levi is 12 years old today.  Every year on his birthday, I think back to the day I met him.  Most parents do this, I imagine.  The memories of our children's beginnings are so precious.  For me, it started with a phone call from a caseworker to inform me of Levi's birth.  We knew he was coming, but the circumstances of his birth and his placement afterwards were in the hands of the state of Washington, where he was born.  We were unsure if the state would choose to place him in our home until the very last minute.

Levi came home to us on March 16th, 2002.  He was tiny and frail, born one month early.  There was a snow and ice storm that day and the conditions were treacherous as the caseworker drove to Seattle to pick him up from the hospital.  When we met him, we were flooded with emotion.  This was our precious Joshua's brother.  We were thrilled to have the boys together, but also apprehensive about caring for a child whose needs were significant and unpredictable.  We had never cared for such a fragile child before.  And we loved him.  Instantly.

 

  What an adventure the past twelve years have been.  We couldn't have imagined the highs and lows we would experience parenting our Levi.  I became interested in early intervention as I watched Levi thrive because of the therapies he received and over the years it has grown into my passion and my career.  We have never regretted our decision to keep these brothers together or to grow our family through adoption.


I admire this boy for his spunk and his perseverance through challenges.  Everyday life does not come easily for him, but he finds joy in simple pleasures and he loves with a huge heart.  Levi has more empathy and compassion than most 12 year-olds and he makes me proud to be his mother.  Time after time I have watched him help another child, offer his seat to an adult, reach out to someone having a bad day, or compliment a friend on their abilities.  His brilliant smile brightens my day and reminds me why every single day of the past twelve years has been a journey worth taking.  Happy Birthday, my love!

No comments:

Post a Comment