Monday, March 17, 2014

Sharing Hope

Today was my favorite kind of day.  I got to share Angie's story with a parent who needs to know that there is hope. I love these days.  You see, I firmly believe that this is the purpose for our family's journey.....to share the miracle.  To use it for the good of others.

I hope I did that today.  I saw before me a mom with a "broken" baby, just like the one I held over 5 years ago.  Tears in her eyes and so much love evident on her face.   A baby with a grim diagnosis, but so much potential.  And so smart.  A sweet, precious baby who just happens to have a brain that needs a little repair.  A baby with a mom who is overwhelmed and tired and needs a little hope.

I hope I helped her find it.  I told her that Angie was so much like her precious baby.  Sleeping much of the day, making very slow progress compared to other babies.  Eating too little and choking on the formula that was supposed to make her grow.  Frequent hospital stays.  Struggling to excel when her brain was working against her.  Not learning to walk until almost her second birthday.  And then, I told her about our miracle.  About the amazing capability of the brain to repair and relearn.  To compensate for its limitations and to prosper despite the challenges.  I told her about the hope and the joy of raising a precious children like ours.

I showed her a video of Miss Angie sledding in our driveway this winter.  In the video, Angie is laughing a huge belly laugh as she slides down the hill-I could watch it over and over.  I show her a picture from just a couple of days ago of my sweet girl beaming from ear to ear.  I tell her about my love and my pride as I watch her shine.

And she smiled.  I could see a small glimmer of encouragement in her eyes.  She asked some questions and I could see her demeanor change.  Angie has that effect on people.  Make no mistake-I had nothing to do with this.  I am just delivering the message.  Like the postman.  I ask myself constantly why God chose me for this child and why did He honor me with the task of spreading her story?  I never have an answer.  But I am honored, as I have mentioned before.  What a blessing to watch her story change lives and bring hope to the weary.

It was a good day.  One of my favorites and now I am excited to watch this family as they adjust to the notion of hope.  And experience their own special miracle.

1 comment: