Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Words have incredible power over us, don't they?  Have you ever thought about it?  If you think back, you can probably easily remember words that someone said to you years ago.  For many, the remembered words will be hurtful words.  Why do hurtful words seem to stay with us the longest?  But positive words do too.  For some, maybe the remembered words came from a parent.  Or a friend? A teacher? Powerful, right?

The words we hear today are powerful too.  They shape our thoughts and feelings in a way we often do not realize.  They can build us up or bring us down-instantly.  Every day we hear and process words in an individual way and they change our lives.  Personally, some  of my most remembered words are, "he will probably walk but may not talk", "next seizure.........", "cerebral palsy", "sturge-weber syndrome", "devastating seizure", "DNR order", "intellectual disability", and "poor prognosis".  I will always remember where I was and even the clothes I was wearing when I heard the words.

Those words do not define me, though.  And they don't define my children.  As powerful as the words were, and still are, I know better.  I know the amazing power of a child and his or her will to achieve.   I know medical miracles and God's grace upon my family.  I know that predictions can never limit or encompass a child's spirit.  I know better.

Now that I know the power of words, though, I think carefully before speaking.  I make mistakes still, but I am a better listener and use fewer words.  I try to consider the impact on my listener.  If I have hurt others with my words, I am sincerely regretful.

This week, I was impacted by words in a new, humbling, and honoring manner.  Yesterday, I received a card in the mail addressed to myself and Angie.  The card was homemade by the second-year medical students that we visited at OHSU last Thursday.  It featured Hello Kitty (Angie's favorite) as a doctor on the front and included personal messages from each student inside.  I was completely overwhelmed.  The students' messages touched my heart deeply.  As I read, I thought of how humbling it was that God chose me to tell Angie's story.  It was not me that the students were responding to.  I was just the messenger.  They were responding to God's amazing hand in Angie's life and her resilience and grace.  And her presence, which speaks louder than words.



I want to share a few of the messages so you can see what I mean: ""Your story will influence my career and my heart for a long time", ""Your story makes a huge impact on our education", "You are a smart and dedicated girl and a great example for us", ""You inspire us with your compassion and strength", "It's not every day I leave class feeling inspired, but yesterday I felt that way".  See what I mean?  So powerful.  Angie is changing lives.  These are the doctors that will treat us and our loved ones in the future.  Wow!

The card made me think about how I can use words to encourage others in the way that this card encouraged me.  It is easy, really, if I am intentional about it.  You can do it too.  What a big difference a few words can make.

No comments:

Post a Comment