Monday, April 20, 2015

The Sunshine after the Rain

Last week was one of the worst I can remember.  So many disappointments and frustrations.  Exhaustion and defeat galore.  All to build my character, I am sure, but still.  And then, at the end of the week, we learned that a 19 year-old girl in our online Sturge-Weber group passed away due to complications from Sturge-Weber syndrome.  Fear struck my heart like a lightening bolt.  Nicole had bilateral disease like Angie and her life was, of course, precious to all who knew her.  How do I move on?  And then this weekend.....complete joy!

Levi came home for an overnight visit, as he has on the past several weekends.  Last weekend, I thought I noticed a change in him.  This week, I knew.  He has changed.  The anxious, easily upset, unpredictable child has been replaced with a calm gentle boy.  He has learned new coping skills and he is working hard to apply them.  Where he would have had an emotional outburst before, he can now walk away.  I heard him singing the "clean up" song and he was in Angie's room helping the 3 year-old who was with us for the weekend clean up the toys.  That never would have happened in the past.  The time went far too fast with this new boy and I was sad to see him leave.  I miss him so much during the week, but I am now so excited for the next visit to see more evidence of the changes occurring in him.

What happened, you ask?  I am not positive but I think it the difference in a child who is getting his needs met.  He is living in a highly structured environment and he is learning the skills he needs to manage his emotions and behavior.  Levi is thriving in school and the direct result is newfound confidence that drives him to continue working hard.  He is surrounded by a staff of awesome adults who want him to be successful and they have invested time and energy to guide and direct him.  They truly care for him and it shows.

We could not have chosen a better program for Levi.  Our hearts were broken to have him move, but the rewards are exponentially worth it.  It was not about us, after all, but about his needs.  One more huge step towards healing for our family, for when one of us hurts, we all hurt.  Bring on the weekends, regardless of the week proceeding them.  This family is on a roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment