Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Today, I have been thinking about how much my life has changed since Angie came into our family.  I am not exactly sure why.  Maybe because her birthday is coming soon and I cannot believe it has been almost 7 YEARS since this precious child came into my heart.  I have been taking a little walk down Memory Lane.

I was thinking of all of the experiences I would have missed, if not for Angie's presence in my life.  Completely aside from experiencing the joy that overflows from her to all who are in her midst, without Angie I would not have:

1) Watched my other children develop an immense tenderness and compassion that comes from living with a child with special needs.  My children's protectiveness and propriety over Angie will carry over to others in their lives who will reap the benefits of their experiences.

2) Been touched by the kindness of strangers.  The couple who paid for our meal when Angie and I were in a restaurant while she was still in rehab from her surgery.  The stranger who approached us at the mall and told me that she could see that Angie's beauty came from the inside out.  The college student who carried Angie and her wheelchair down a flight of stairs so we would not be late for our appointment.  The little girl at the hospital who hugged Angie hundreds of times while they waited for equally painful procedures.  The parents who asked about Angie instead of staring and guiding
their children away.  You get it.  There are been so many examples proving that people are inherently good.  Giving me hope when I needed it most.

3) Experienced the best of the best medical professionals who truly care about patients and their families.  The kind words, special care, compassionate words, and honest answers.  Doctors and nurses are my heroes and I have witnessed extraordinary measures on my child's behalf.

4) Observed a miracle of unknown proportions through the process of Angie's brain surgery.  Not only did I learn that a major hospital was willing to perform the surgery at a fraction of the actual (shocking) cost, but we witnessed a complete transformation of a child who no longer suffered debilitating seizures.

5) Had my priorities and perspective completely re-arranged.  In light of Angie's strength and courage, I have little to complain about. I can put many of life's little worries aside and focus on what I now know is important-relationships and living in the moment we are in.  The past and the future cannot be changed by worrying.

I never dreamed that my life would be changed by a precious child who came into my family as a short-term placement and planted herself in our hearts for eternity.  Our journey is not over and I know there are tough days ahead.  Angie's disease is progressive and I can't ignore that, but I know that God is preparing me for what is ahead with every experience along the way.  I am not going to waste a minute of this and I hope you won't, either.  We can all learn so much from Angie's journey.....

No comments:

Post a Comment