Sunday, October 4, 2015

Today was a day that I will always remember.  I spent the day helping Josh to plan his invitation to the Homecoming dance for his girlfriend, Madeline.  At first glance it might not seem that special, but to me it was incredibly so.

Josh is our "easy child".  Oh, there have been bumps along the way.  Mostly because school is boring and irrelevant for a 15 year-old boy. Besides that, Josh has been a pleasure and a joy to parent.  Being the older brother of two siblings with special needs is a unique experience that most kids don't have.  Josh has managed the challenge with compassion and grace that is far beyond his years.  And he has sacrificed.

Today, I had a chance to give him my time and attention and it was amazing.  Josh knew exactly what he wanted to do to invite Madeline to the dance and I was just along for support-to cook their dinner.  He made a sign, complete with lights, and ordered flowers with a sweet card.  It was fun to see his anticipation and to watch her delight when she saw his efforts.  So much fun.



I am grateful for Josh because he reminds me that life is fun and spontaneous.  When I tend to get caught up in the details he reminds me of the little things in life, which are actually big things.  Today was for Josh and Madeline. I was just an extra.  But it made me realize how fortunate I am for this very special boy's presence in my life.  He reminds me of all that is good and right in the world and I am so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment