Friday, October 2, 2015

The Process

I have shared that we are going through the process to adopt Angie.  When the state child welfare office told us that we FINALLY could adopt, we were over-the-top thrilled.  We could not believe it!!!  Fast forward four months and we have barely moved forward in the process.  Are we frustrated?  You bet.

I try to stay positive in my blog posts but this is ridiculous.  We have waited 7 years.  The first delay in the process was that Angie's birth father claimed to be a Native American.  There is a law (ICWA) that protects children who are descendants of Native American so his claim had to be explored.  For four months.  Now it has been established that he is not a Native American and we can move to the next step.....

Current Caretaker Committee. If we ever get to the committee, they are charged with determining if our home is the best long-term placement for Angie.  After SEVEN years!  Is it just me, or does this seem like a waste of time?  Not that she is not amazing, because she is, but we don't exactly have any competition in the adoption ring at this point.  We are her family.

I am frustrated. The state recently has quickly separated long-term placements from the only parents they have known.  They do not hesitate when this is the case.  However, when a family who deeply loves a child and has walked the journey we have is presented to them for adoption they are in no hurry at all.  I know what They are thinking......she is in a stable placement.  But They are wrong.

True, Angie is in a stable placement.  We will NEVER give up on her.  But what They are overlooking (even though we have told them multiple times) is that Angie knows she is in foster care and she does not want to be.  Often, Angie comments to me, "Mom, I am a foster child, I want to be adopted". My heart is broken.  This child has cheated death, overcome the odds, and has created a life of victory.  She deserves to be adopted.



I am sorry for the downer post.  We have yet to schedule our Current Caretaker Committee meeting despite my fervent request and I am tired of the delays.  Angie deserves better.  I will try to post updates that are more positive as we move through the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment