Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Where is your comfort?

Everyone has a different idea or concept of comfort.  For some, it is the home where they grew up.  It can be a certain blanket, a food, or a pair of pants or a shirt that means comfort to you.  I am all about being comfortable, especially after an especially trying day.  I have a pair of denim overalls that just seal the deal for me after a long day.  I don't know what your special brand of comfort is, but I realized something about myself yesterday that was a little surprising......

The hospital brings me comfort.  Weird?  I know, but let me explain.  Angie and I went to Emanuel Hospital in Portland yesterday for two different appointments.  First, Angie had a speech therapy visit with Chris, her long-time speech therapist.  Chris handed me a report he wrote after Angie's recent speech evaluation and this is how it started, "Angie is a happy girl who is well-known in this facility."  I read that first line and I realized how true it was.  The professionals who have worked with Angie really get her Big Picture. They are not focused on her performance on a specific day or one behavior she is practicing.  They REALLY know her. And they are on her team.  They are cheering for her and have been for five years straight.

The report went on to include the words "low intelligibility", "impulsive", "significantly delayed", and "severe receptive and expressive language disorder".  Tough stuff.  But even all of those tough words are overshadowed by the comfort of knowing Angie is with the people who are in for the long haul.  They know where she has come from and where she can go, with the right supports.  Comfort.  Just like that.

Angie's other appointment was with "Dr. Steve", her rehab doctor.  Dr. Steve, whose last name is about 23 letters long and is not pronounceable, was one of the first people to greet us when Angie was transferred to Emanuel after her surgery.  At that time, Dr, Steve assured us that our girl, who resembled an oversized newborn at the time, would make daily gains in rehab and would leave the hospital a brand-new girl. Dr. Steve was right.  At this appointment, Dr. Steve cheered Angie for her new skills since starting kindergarten.  He listened to my concerns and validated each one.  Dr. Steve will be appealing the recent insurance denial for neuro-psych testing for Angie and he will not give up until it is approved.  Dr. Steve is one of Angie's champions and he reminds me of how much we have to be grateful for.  She has come so far.  Why do I forget?  I don't know but for now, this is comfort.

We have so much to be grateful for.  My sense of comfort when we are at the hospital is not about the building.  It is the people.  They have never let us down and they tirelessly look for ways to improve Angie's quality of life.  What a blessing to be in the presence of people who are devoted to making lives better.  They love what they do and it is not just a job.  Comfort.  It can be a place, clothes, food, people, or just knowing that resources are being devoted to making life the very best it can be.  Whatever it is, my wish is for you to experience a little bit of comfort.  Every. Single. Day.  Go find it:)

No comments:

Post a Comment