Monday, November 25, 2013

My Home

Clatskanie, Oregon is My Home.  This may not seem like a huge revelation, but in a way it is. When I moved to Clatskanie in 1992 I was a young mom of two from Astoria and I had no intention of living anywhere but there. I was born and raised in Astoria.  My family was there and so was my heart. That was before the opportunity of a lifetime came along in the form of a pizza parlor whose owners were retiring and asked us to be the new owners.  So, with a heavy heart, I followed my husband and we began to build a new dream.

A few years after we moved to Clatskanie, the Great Flood of '96 hit the pizza parlor and we were devastated.  Thousands of dollars in damage in just a few hours in the middle of the night.  Four feet of mud and sludge inside the business where we were building our dream.  This was the day I knew my heart had found its new home.  When the sun came up the next morning, a huge number of people came and asked what they could do to help.  Our friends were all there to support us that day.  Even more touching were the dozens of people who showed up having never met us personally. Some commented that they had eaten at our restaurant, but they were virtual strangers before that day, just helping out for the greater good of the community.  For hours we worked side-by-side to try to save what we could of the restaurant's contents. In the following days, Toby and I began receiving checks and notes in the mail from community members wanting to help and we were overcome by the generosity on our behalf.  One evening after dinner, a knock came on our door at home and we opened the door to a gentleman delivering a check from the community.  The check was in the exact amount needed to recoup our losses (though we had not shared the amount with anyone) and we were completely overwhelmed with gratitude.  This is the Clatskanie that is My Home.

Years have gone by and we have not forgotten the gifts from our community, both tangible and intangible.  We have continued to receive the love and support of the community in different forms but always in the time and manner it was needed.  In 2004, our family hosted a young girl from Haiti who was in the United States to receive crucial orthopedic surgery.  The community came together and held a fundraiser on her behalf to help provide for her needs.  The local middle school classes showered her with toys and gifts that she had never imagined she would have and a little girl was made to feel like a princess.  Francesca was well-known during her 9-month stay and the community overwhelmed her with love and affection throughout her stay.  This is the Clatskanie that is My Home.

Toby and I have children with special needs.  We learned quickly that the world as a whole can be a cruel place for children who take their time reaching milestones and may look and act different from their peers.  Not so in Clatskanie.  Here, our children have been accepted, included, and honored.  In a world that recognizes physical beauty, strength, and academic prowess, our children have never been made to feel less valuable than others in our community.  Last week, Toby and I  attended the monthly Positive Behavior Support assembly at the Clatskanie Elementary School.  We watched as two girls with special needs were included in the relay contest.  The girls were provided helpers so they could compete, and were cheered enthusiastically by a school that wanted them to win.  They were surrounded by love and I was brought to tears as I considered the larger message.  This is My Home and I am proud.

Since opening a second restaurant in Scappoose last year, we have been questioned regularly about whether we will be moving our family there.  Not a chance.  Toby spends long hours away from home and his commute has increased by 90 minutes per day.  We miss him and I wish we lived closer.  However, nothing will take me away from this place that has loved my family from the depths of its soul.  This is My Home.







No comments:

Post a Comment