Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Working Hard

The word "hard" has been on my mind a lot lately.  Mostly because I have been having a pity party and considering my life hard.  Taking care of special needs kids is hard.  Being a foster parent is hard.  Keeping our crazy schedule straight is hard.  Being a wife is hard.  Mothering a teenager is hard.  Going to work every day is hard.  You get the idea.  But today I realized that I have it all wrong.  My life is not hard at all.  Not even close.

Angie had 3 appointments at the hospital today.  Speech therapy, Occupational therapy, and a follow-up appointment with Dr. Steve to check the results of the Botox injections.  As I watched her stretch herself and use every ounce of energy in her body, I realized the true meaning of Hard.  She puts all she has into everything she is asked to do and it is exhausting.  And Hard.  She has to work to make her mouth form sounds correctly.  And to learn to write her name.  The therapist stretches her tight muscles and it hurts.  Dr. Steve does it all over again and it still hurts.  She does not complain, though, taking it all in stride.  What in the world am I complaining about?

The other day we went to a basketball tournament with Josh and the gym was up two long flights of stairs.  As I watched Angie struggle up the stairs (and refuse my help) I realized how Hard it is for her to do tasks that others take for granted.  And she never complains.  I have watched her adapt to make difficult tasks more manageable and her perseverance brings tears to my eyes.

School is Hard, too.  Angie has struggled to comply with the demands of Kindergarten and to learn the routines of the classroom.  She is frequently knocked down at recess-or she falls in the rush to get to her friends to play.  She is frustrated by much of the work.  In spite of all that, though, Angie cannot wait to get to school each morning.  And it is Hard.



Angie has taught me many lessons in our time together and today I realized she is not done with me yet.  I have a new perspective about what is "hard" and I am grateful for Angie's example.  In many ways, she is much wiser than I, and I am privileged to have her to keep me humble and honest.  She truly is a miracle and I believe she was sent to do God's work here on Earth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment