Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Sick

My baby girl has been sick.  And I mean SICK.  Today was day 7 and she was able to return to school but she came right home and crashed.  This sickness was the pneumonia-like kind that sent her to straight to the hospital in the past, but this time I was prepared.  I am going to tell you how we avoided a stay at our (not) favorite place but first I want to make it clear that I am not  trying to sell anything.

About 2 months ago, my friend invited me to her home to learn more about DoTerra essential oils.  As I listened to the many uses for the oils, I wondered how my family, with its multiple challenges, might be affected by trying the oils.  It couldn't hurt, right?

First, I researched oils that have been used for children with behavioral concerns.  The stories were intriguing and I decided to give it a try.  I started with two blends, Balance and Serenity.  I didn't tell anyone at first.  I applied them to Angie's skin before school and the influence on her attention and focus was pretty evident.  Not a miracle, but a noticeable change.  I used them on our days at home and it was obvious to me that the oils were helping our girl regulate her responses and manage her emotions.  It was pretty powerful.  Now, each person and child are unique.  I am just reporting what has happened in our family.

So, this week.  The SICKNESS.  It started with Angie coming home from her long-awaited sleepover with her sisters without her voice.  The illness progressed to coughing, congestion, and eventually, the inability to keep anything in her stomach.  By the second day, I started applying OnGuard and Digestizen, two DoTerra blends, to her feet every 2-3 hours.  I added Rosemary and Oregano to the regimen the next morning and kept up this routine for the rest of the week.  I am convinced that this illness would have landed her in the hospital without the oils.  I have seen it so many times.  We are fortunate to have the medical equipment to monitor her at home and her oxygen levels were getting to the danger zone when I started the protocol, but they did not stay there for long.  I kept her hydrated and she was clearly not getting worse as the days went on, but it was still a long week.

Like I said, everyone is different.  I am just sharing our experience.  I will continue to use the oils when I can and, of course, I will seek medical care when needed.  I am just grateful that we were able to stay home this time.  Especially because Toby was out of town and I was home alone with the kids.  I actually enjoyed the "normal" of caring for a sick child, not a desperately sick child, as I have in the past.  Crazy, I know.  But I crave the normal and regular.

I think we are out of the woods. Although it is hard and helpless to watch your child when they are sick, I am grateful for the quiet time at home and the return to normal without a trip to the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment