Monday, March 23, 2015

One of Those Days

Today was one of those days that left me wondering at God's generosity and goodness.  How could He have decided I was deserving of this precious girl?  Why me?



We arrived at the hospital early this morning to prepare for Angie's 15th laser treatment for her port-wine birthmark.  I was apprehensive because Angie has become increasingly aware of her "polka dots" as she calls her appearance after the pulsed-dye laser treatments.  She talked about the process with each of the staff members that visited her, and she told them, "My mom says I am a rock star!".  That doesn't even begin to describe her.  She amazes me.

Look at her puppy dog jammies.  Pretty adorable, aren't they?


Angie told her doctor that she was excited for her polka dots and she wanted to "get going on the ride", meaning the trip back to the treatment room.  I was questioned more than once about my decision to forgo a pre-med to help Angie relax.  Were they kidding?  She couldn't be more relaxed!  Here she is when they came to get her:


The doctor decided to "turn up" the laser today, making it stronger and increasing its effectiveness.  As if hundreds of lasers shooting her skin wasn't traumatic enough.  Consequently, Angie was given some morphine as she came out of the anesthesia to take the edge off of the pain.  And some ibuprofen.  And some tylenol.  That is how we roll, when they "turn it up".  True to form, though, Angie was ready to go home less than an hour later after she came out of the fog, stating, "Thank you for rocking me when I cried after my polka dots, Mom".  She just blesses me, over and over.  Every day.

Most of us would call it a day at that point.  Angie, though, went on to insist on macaroni and cheese for lunch and followed her laser treatment with a stop at the pediatrician's office to check the healing of her ruptured eardrum.  In the office, she joked with Dr. Copeland and showed him her dance moves.  She told him, "I am on Spring Break, whoop-whoop!" (insert dance moves here).  Truly, she amazes me with her courage and her unstoppable humor and grace.

Now, finally, she is resting.  I can't help but look back on the day with reverence and awe.  What a privilege to be in this angel's presence every single day as she impacts the world around her.  I will never get tired of hearing how brave and strong she, as I did today, and as I do time and time again.  Thank you, Lord, for trusting me with your child.







No comments:

Post a Comment